Terrorist

I had a nightmare class last Friday. I’ve never had that kind of class in my 3 years training experience. It’s like hell.

It started two months ago, when I reviewed the performance of my customer care staff especially the call center. Their motive and moral was low, as not to say that they were de-motivated, apathetic and no service attitude. So, I proposed to my HR, to change the process of recruitment besides the new scheme of salary. In that proposal, voluntary I told them that I would give the service excellence training to the new recruiter, based on my experience as a trainer. My HR people, without saying a word, give their 100 % approval and support my idea. Whilst at the same time, asked me to train the other department new recruiter also.

My first class, started last Friday ….. training the new recruiter of customer service department.

Couldn’t believe my eyes, when we were given them the energizer, they acted like a bunch of young adult people on their teenage period. They couldn’t control themselves. When it started with a game of service, which was a preliminary introduction before they practice it through the role-play, they just ignore it. I noticed that there’s 2 girl, which become their informal leader, or in my language “the terrorist”. They could distract the class from doing what I’ve instructed. Especially when I share the dos and don’ts of a front line customer service, that 2 terrorist, given their “what a boring fact” look.

When it was near “sholat Jumat”, I offered them to be in class at 1 pm or 1.30 pm, with the consequences if they chose 1.30 then automatically the training will finish half an hour after the normal schedule. My last word before break was “If you can’t respect yourself then how could you respect your customer” ….

Back on time, and as predicted, that two lovely terrorist was not in class. They were busy shopping around, and showed in class 30 min. after the class run. Instead of saying sorry, they were busy showing their stuff.

I couldn’t stand it anymore … , I was start to explode when my colleague notice it. He took over the class and asked me to wait outside. He told the class that I was observing him and if they fail then they will lost the job. After that the two terrorist suddenly acted like a frightened dog.

My other half-day class then went as expected and they just realized the purpose of the game that I instructed them on the 1st half day before.

To tell the truth, that day was my 1st experience of that kind of class. I’ve never had a class like before. There’s always a bunch of terrorist but not like that one, and the terrorist usually a boy not a girl.

They were not a young adult people anymore. They had finished their college and had a job before. If they just finished their second grade, then I could understand. But they were not. Both of us, me and my colleague felt old suddenly.

Are they the reflection of generation “Y” ? I know generation “Y” is different with generation “X”. Generation Y looking into future as something “abstract”, their style is different with Generation X, where Xers was more entrepreneur while Yers more selfish “so what ?”.

But what I've seen in my class is all about “ATTITUDE” and ‘ETHIC’. They parents must be much older than me. They were “baby boomers” generation. Besides that there's no difference of “ETHICAL” things,and “VALUE". That two always stays the same in every generation.

Just wondering, what kind of generation my children have ? Worst than what I see in class ? According to my friend, not all of generation Y was like that. The way they act like that is because of their level of status economy social. Is that true ? I don’t know. I am going to have another class sometimes next week. Will do the comparison after that…

Comments

Popular Posts