How Do We Say Good-Bye (rated 5 stars)

by Mitch Albom

This is a true story of Morrie Schwartz, a college professor who taught Mitch Albom, of experiencing life during the end of Morries’ life.

Mitch knew Morrie when he was a college student, a professor who did not see him as a raw material, but see him as precious thing, a jewel that, with wisdom could be polished to a proud shine.

They were lost track after Mitch graduated, until one day Mitch saw his beloved professor at “Nightline” channel television, which shown the story of Morrie in dealing with his “death”.

Mitch finally found his “coach” again, to get the wisdom of how to see the world in more profound place and even find the “answer” of his worries through one final “class” : experiencing life. A class that start of Tuesday ….Tuesday with Morrie.

…..”The last class of my old professor’s life took place once a week, in his home, by a window in his study where e could watch a small hibiscus plant shed its pink flowers. The class met on Tuesday. No books were required. The subject was the meaning of life. It was taught from experience….” (page 192)

I love this book; it taught me of how to see the ordinary things in life from simplest thing. Sometimes that simplest thing has been heard several times; but in this book, that simplest thing becomes the precious things in different perspective.

Morrie gave Mitch an advice that even my self felt envy of the chances that Mitch have. I wish I had the person like Morrie, so I could ask several questions that haunted me.

I cannot say which one of the advices is the best one, but one that touches my heart is when they finally say good-bye.

…. Coach, I said. I felt a shiver. He spoke in short burst, inhaling air, exhaling words. His voice was thin and raspy. He smelled of ointment.
“You …. Are a good soul”
A good soul.
“Touched me ….” He whispered. He moved my hands to his heart. “Here”.
It felt as I had a pit in my throat.
Coach ?
“Ahh ?”
I don’t know how to say good-bye.
He patted my hand weakly, keeping it on his chest.
“This …. Is how we say …. Good-bye …..”
He breathed softly, in and out, I could feel his ribcage rise and fail. The he looked right at me.
“Love….you,”he rasped.
I love you, too, Coach ………………(page 184-185)

…The good-bye which was so simple but has shown of affection, of appreciation, and on top of that, shown a pure love of someone who finally can open someone’s heart …

Comments

Popular Posts